The Core Certificate Program equips nonprofit leaders with the skills, knowledge, and networks they need to make strategic, mission-driven decisions.
It's more than a class. The Core Program includes:
- Weekly Management Seminars taught by core faculty and supported by guest lecturers, that survey the fundamentals of management and leadership
- Weekly Practice Seminars conducted in small groups that engage in action-oriented problem-solving regarding specific challenges confronted by participants and their organizations
- One-on-one mentorship with an experienced nonprofit or private sector leader working in your area of interest
You'll walk away with:
- A certificate in Nonprofit Management and Leadership from the Jonathan M. Tisch College of Civic Life at Tufts University
- A concise and compelling 'story' about your organization – its mission, vision and strategy, strengths, challenges, impact, and future
- The skills to more effectively manage the financial and human resources of your organization
- A stronger and distinctive voice to confidently lead within your organization
Schedule and Locations
The Core Program is offered in four sites, and enrolled students commit to the schedule of their specific class. Our current schedule follows:
- Management Seminar: 4:00pm-6:00pm
- Practice Seminar: 6:30pm-8:30pm
- Greater Boston: Wednesday or Thursday
- Merrimack Valley: Wednesday
- Rhode Island: Tuesday
- Cape Cod and the Islands: Meets on special schedule; contact us to learn more.
Our academic year lasts from mid-September through early May; a detailed schedule is provided during the enrollment process.
“This is more than professional development. It’s a finishing school.”
—Pat Kirby, Vice President of the National Network, Citizen Schools
Who are Core Program students?
The Core Certificate Program is a good fit for managers, directors, and executives who:
- Work in nonprofits of all sizes and sectors, as well as public sector leaders
- Supervise staff and/or complex, multi-stakeholder activities
- Seek to develop, hone, and apply their management and leadership skills
- Are committed to their own and others' learning in an inclusive environment
We actively seek to engage diverse classes in order to advance a leadership pipeline that reflects our communities and to strengthen the learning experience.
Questions? Feel free to email us at email@example.com any time to discuss your interest in the program.
Core Program tuition is determined on a sliding fee scale based on organizational size, and most organizations pay for their employees' tuition. Rates follow:
- $3,200 for employees of organizations whose operating budget is under $1 million
- $3,500 for employees of organizations whose operating budget is between $1 - 5 million
- $3,800 for employees of organizations whose operating budget is over $5 million
Students whose organizations work in affordable housing, economic development, financial literacy, and afterschool programming may be eligible for TD Bank Training Resource Fund grants of up to $1,000.
This program has been approved for 88 Social Work Continuing Education hours for re-licensure, in accordance with 258 CMR.