The Core Certificate Program equips nonprofit leaders with the skills, content, networks, and faculty experts they need to make strategic, mission-driven decisions.
This 22 session program consists of three core components:
- Weekly Management Seminars, taught by core faculty and supported by guest lecturers, that survey the fundamentals of management and leadership
- Weekly Practice Seminars conducted in small groups that engage in action-oriented problem-solving regarding specific challenges confronted by participants and their organizations
- One-on-one mentorship with an experienced nonprofit or private sector leader working in your area of interest
You'll walk away with:
- A certificate in Nonprofit Management and Leadership from the Jonathan M. Tisch College of Civic Life at Tufts University
- A concise and compelling core “story” about your organization – its mission, vision and strategy, strengths, challenges, impact, and future
- The skills to more effectively manage the financial and human resources of your organization
- A stronger and distinctive voice to confidently lead within your organization
Schedule and Locations
Our academic year lasts from mid-September through early May. The program meets one evening per week on the following schedule:
- Management Seminar: 4:00pm-6:00pm
- Practice Seminar: 6:30pm-8:30pm
- Greater Boston: Wednesday or Thursday
- Merrimack Valley: Wednesday
- Rhode Island: Tuesday
- Cape Cod and the Islands: Meets on special schedule; contact us to learn more.
Applications for the 2017-18 program year will be available by mid-November. Learn more about the application process here.
“This is more than professional development. It’s a finishing school.”
—Pat Kirby, Chief Growth Officer and Executive Director, Citizen Schools Massachusetts
Who are Core students?
The Core Certificate Program is a good fit for active managers, directors, and executives who:
- Lead across nonprofits of all sizes and foci or in the public sector
- Supervise staff and complex, multi-stakeholder activities
- Seek to develop and hone their management and leadership skills
- Are committed to their own and others' learning in an inclusive environment
We actively seek to engage diverse classes in order to advance a leadership pipeline that reflects our communities and to strengthen the learning experience.
Questions? Feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org any time to discuss your interest in the program.
Most frequently, organizations fund their employees’ tuition. Core Program tuition is determined on a sliding fee scale based on organizational size:
- $3,200 for employees of organizations whose operating budget is under $1 million
- $3,500 for employees of organizations whose operating budget is between $1 - 5 million
- $3,800 for employees of organizations whose operating budget is over $5 million
This program has been approved for 88 Social Work Continuing Education hours for re-licensure, in accordance with 258 CMR.